The Dr. Marion Luther Brittain Sr. House, Midtown Atlanta
National Register of Historic Places
1109 W. Peachtree St. Atlanta GA. Dr. Marion Luther Brittain, Sr., House.
Photo taken by author and offered as public domain.
The Dr. Marion Luther Brittain, Sr., House, built in the Neoclassical Revival style and located at 1109 West Peachtree Street in Atlanta, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 23, 1993. The building served as Brittain’s home from its construction in 1911 until Brittain and his family moved to the Georgia Tech president’s house in 1922.
Dr. Marion Brittain (1866-1953) was president of Georgia Tech from 1922 to 1944.
Some detailed information on the house is given at the National Park Service website, things obvious to the eye such as the four Corinthian columns supporting a “monumental temple front”, and the less obvious, such as some interior description and that this house was later converted into four apartments, a warehouse later added in the back, and is now a doctor’s office. At one time it was also a frame shop.
The household census for 1920 was: Marion Lee Brittain, 54, superintendent in state education; wife, Lettie, 55; son, McDonald, 29, working as a bookkeeper in life insurance; son, Marion Lee Jr., 24, working as a clerk at a bank; daughter, Ida L., 21.
The house was then numbered 649 W. Peachtree St.
Currently the office of several dermatologists, it is fronted entirely by a brick parking plaza, and bounded on both sides by commercial buildings which gives the Brittain house a hemmed in and out-of-place appearance. A bit of shrubbery landscaping and a row of trees endeavors to ameliorate the situation. Across the street is a skyscraper under construction. To the rear is a not-very-postcard view of more new Midtown. If we could dig up old photos of the building, we would probably see the house sitting high on a semi-pastoral hill, embraced by a healthy expanse of lawn, with trees, to all sides.